ALTHOUGH WOMEN’S FASHION IS WHAT HAS GENERALLY BEEN GRABBING EYEBALLS, STYLISH MEN HAVE ALSO CONTRIBUTED TONS TO THE EVOLUTION OF FASHION. AND THOUGH US GIRLS DO LOVE CHECKING OUT BEAUTIFUL WOMEN AND THEIR PERSONAL STYLE, THERE IS NO JOY COMPARED TO THE UNADULTERATED JOY OF SHAMELESSLY OGLING A HANDSOME HUNK;)!
The joy gets multiplied many fold if that hunk also happens to embody values and characteristics that stand out clothed in iconic sartorial style. Cinema being a visual medium has given us many men that we love to bits for their excellence in their craft & their effortlessly unique style.
So, here is an ode to the men we love….. and these are some of my personal favorites across time and continents from Hollywood & Bollywood. Do let me know if you have some of them or ALL of them on your list too!
These men are all so drool worthy that if some body took this seriously enough, we are sure the drool factor could go a long way to tackling the water crisis in the world!:)
1) Beginning with the legendary Dev Anand from closer home, What can one say about the style & charm of a man who had to be banned from stepping out publicly in a black suit! That’s true! Why? Because he incited an uncontrollable and un-heard of frenzy among women…such was his persona.
ACTOR, DIRECTOR & PRODUCER DEV ANAND WAS INDIAN CINEMA’S FIRST STYLE ICON. HE SCRIPTED HIS UNIQUE FASHION STATEMENT THROUGH AN INTERESTING USE OF ACCESSORIES SUCH AS BELTS, SCARVES, HATS & CAPS COUPLED WITH INTERESTING JACKETS & CARDIGANS. WHAT ADDED TO THE CHARM WAS HIS ZEST FOR LIFE & CINEMA THAT REMAINED UNCHANGED TO HIS DYING DAY.
2) Another actor I adore & admire from before my times is Marlon Brando the Godfather/Baap of style. He was the icon of all those who were tired of convention & norms. He nailed the casual cool every single time, most often in tees, jeans, trainers and leather bomber jackets, but even more than the clothes, it was his aura that he wore even better.
3) THEN JUMPS TO MY MIND SEAN CONNERY, WHOSE STYLE IS COMPLETELY TIMELESS. DEFINING MASCULINE, A MAN’S MAN, HE MANAGED TO COMBINE RUGGEDNESS WITH SOPHISTICATION. ALONG WITH CAREY GRANT, HE WAS SYNONYMOUS WITH BESPOKE BRITISH TAILORING, A PICTURE OF SARTORIAL PERFECTION IN TAILORED SUITS. BUT THE PERSONA OF THE MAN WAS SUCH THAT HE LOOKED EQUALLY GOOD (READ “DROOL”!!) IN BATHING TRUNKS J STRIPPED OF THE TAILORED ELEGANCE.
4) INDIAN CINEMA’S FIRST TRUE SUPER STAR RAJESH KHANNA DROVE MILLIONS WILD. UNIQUE WITH HIS EFFORTLESS CHARM IN VARIOUS TREND SETTING STYLES LIKE THE KURTA TROUSER COMBO, HIS ANKLE LENGTH SLACKS WITH LOAFERS & HIS TRADEMARK SAFARI SUITS, HE HAD A STYLE THAT WAS LIKE NO ONE ELSE’S EVEN REMOTELY.
5) Succeeding Rajesh Khanna, was Amitabh Bachchan, who has continued to be at the top of his profession for the longest period of time from the 70s till today. Words are not enough to describe this man; his dedication to and experimentation with his craft and thereby his looks are his real strength and charm.
FROM HIS BELL-BOTTOMS AND LEATHER JACKETS IN THE 70S TO DESIGNER SUITS/JACKETS AND SHERWANIS, HIS STYLE IS ALL HIS OWN. HIS SALT & PEPPER HEAD COMBINED WITH HIS ALL WHITE FRENCH BEARD IS INDEED A PATH-BREAKING TREND.
6) ANOTHER FAVORITE IS PIERCE BROSNAN, WITH HIS PATENT IRISH CHARM. THE BOND OF THE 90S HAS LOOKED GREAT IN A CASUAL CLASSY WAY SINCE HIS REMINGTON STEELE DAYS (AND HOW WE USED TO SIT GLUED TO OUR TV SETS!). HE WAS A STYLE ICON EVEN BEFORE HE BECAME ASSOCIATED WITH THE BOND FRANCHISE. HE LOOKS GOOD IN ANY AND EVERYTHING FROM SUITS TO CASUAL CARGOS.
7) Also on my list is the breathtakingly handsome George Clooney, who can safely be credited with getting the Suit back in vogue, at a time when everyone had assumed that Jeans are good for every occasion.
HIS STYLE IS MINIMALISTIC WITH AN ALMOST MONOCHROMATIC WARDROBE- SUITS FOR FORMAL OCCASIONS AND TEES AND CHINOS FOR DOWNTIME WITH A NO NONSENSE HAIR CUT (THAT HE CLAIMS TO CUT HIMSELF!).
8) Shahrukh King Khan is a not to be missed, not so conventionally good looking man with a charm and wit quotient so high that everyone pales in comparison.
A TRENDSETTER WITH HIS JACKETS, DRAPED POLO-NECK SWEATERS, BODY HUGGING TEES, HOODIES AND A COOL PONYTAIL:) ALONG WITH HIS CLOTHES, HE WEARS HIS ATTITUDE BEST. REMEMBER THE “FAUJI” OF OUR DREAMS!
9) HRITHIK ROSHAN IS ANOTHER GUY WHO SHOULD BE BANNED FRO APPEARING IN PERSON, SERIOUSLY! THAT GORGEOUS IS HE WITH HIS GREEK GOD LOOKS (READ AGAIN “DROOL”!!!!). HE CARRIES EVERYTHING FROM INDIAN TO WESTERN WITH A PLOMB. WITH NO DEFINED STYLE EXCEPT COOL ADAPTS TO ANY LOOK….:)
10) AKSHAY KUMAR, A COMPLETELY SELF MADE MAN, WHO HAS WORKED HARD TO BE WHERE HE IS. A MAN CONNECTED TO HIS ROOTS,
HE HAS AN EARTHY APPEAL AND LIKE SEAN CONNERY COMBINES THE RUGGED WITH THE SOPHISTICATED.
I CAN’T FORGET THOSE COLLEGE YEARS WHEN WE USED TO FANTASIZE ABOUT HIM;)
11) Leonardo Dicaprio is a Super Star who has always been detached from that status keeping his innocence intact with a strong reality check with an understated style bordering on casual. And Leonardo being Leonardo, I feel, he doesn’t need to do anything to look good..it perhaps just comes to himJ oh, how we adore him!
12) A TRUE STYLE ICON IS WILL SMITH WITH HIS SECURE CONFIDENT PERSONA. HIS BEST ACCESSORIES BEING HIS CUTE BUTTON NOSE AND HIS DIMPLED SMILE, WITH HIS CONSTANT PURSUIT OF “HAPPINESS”.
HE WAS AS ATTRACTIVE IN HIS FRESH PRINCE BACKWARD BAGGY JEANS/MISMATCHED OUTFITS GOOFY LOOK AS HE IS IN HIS TAILORED BLACK TUX AND TROUSERS.
13) RANBIR KAPOOR AKA OUR VERY OWN RK HAS PERFECTED THE KNACK OF BLENDING THE CASUAL WITH THE FORMAL SEAMLESSLY. HIS STYLE IS SIMPLE JEANS, BUTTON DOWN SHIRTS TEAMED WITH LEATHER JACKETS..HE IS STYLISH YET COMFORTABLE.
14) AND WE CANNOT FORGET ANOTHER CHARMING BOY, WHO SHARES HALF HIS NAME WITH RK- RANVEER SINGH. HE IS ANOTHER DUDE AFTER MY HEART. HE IS, WHAT I FONDLY CALL A STYLE CHAMELEON!
HE HAPPILY ALLOWS HIS REEL LIFE LOOKS TO SPILL INTO HIS REAL LIFE. HE DEFIES ALL NORMS AND CONVENTIONS AND MAKES THE BIZARRE SEEM EASY AND THE BOLD LOOK BEAUTIFUL. A TRUE MAVERICK AND A FREE SPIRIT, WITH CHARMING AS HIS MIDDLE NAMEJ DEEPI, YOU’RE SO LUCKY, GIRL!
16) And now for the coolest vampire in history, the drop dead gorgeous Robert Pattinson who wooed us not only with his good looks but also his steadfast devotion to Kristen Stewart. This man is unbelievable, he can go from grunge to cool casual to dapper in a matter of minutes and fit in everywhere.
HAVING SO THOROUGHLY ENJOYED WRITING MY ODE TO THESE WONDERFUL MEN, I HAVE GLEANED A BEAUTIFUL INSIGHT THAT CLOTHES DO NOT MAKE THE MAN; IT IS THE OTHER WAY ROUND. THESE MEN MAKE THE CLOTHES LOOK GOOD BECAUSE THEY ARE DEDICATED, SECURE & CONFIDENT. LOVING WHAT THEY DO !!
Katz and Team!